Next week is the 2009 Air Force Academy graduation ceremony, and of course the Thunderbirds air show. The graduation ceremony is on Wednesday the 27th from 10 AM to 12 PM and then the Thunderbirds will perform on Wednesday the 27th from 12:00 PM to 12:45 PM. If you’re lucky, you’ll probably be able to see the Thunderbirds practicing on Tuesday.
Last year the weather was pretty cloudy and somewhat foggy, so the flyover was shortened by quite a bit and a lot of people didn’t see them at all. Hopefully the weather cooperates this year.
You can’t get on base during the graduation unless you have a ticket, but there are plenty of good places to watch the air show off-base! Last Friday I asked my Twitter friends to tell me where they thought the best places to watch were, and here’s what they said:
- The guy behind CSTechCast, a podcast for IT professionals said “I watch the AFA grad air show near Oracle/Progressive buildings, but beware, it is private land.”
- Outdoor guy Rob Lucas said “Focus on Family is good for the AFA graduation because it’s up on a hill but on the south end. Behind Compassion (Middle Creek Pkwy) is close and centered.”
- Colorado history buff Gayle Gresham said “the Western Museum of Mining says they have the best spot to watch AFA graduation air show.”
- @valerieobrien said “I would say the back parking lot of the Presidio Building will be a pretty awesome view…or the FedEx building at Gleneagle.”
- One of Jeremy‘s REALTOR® cohorts at RE/MAX Properties, Jay Carden, said “the best place is Oracle parking lot or the new TCA high.”
- Local photographer Brandi_B said the best place to watch is the Flying Horse neighborhood!
- And finally, my favorite – my cousin Travis said “I would say try to stake out a spot near the top of one of those massive chapel spires on campus.” (OK, so he’s not a local – but that would be an awesome view!)
Any other great spots that you know of? I know there’s the small scenic overlook on the interstate, but I can imagine that becomes quite a mess with people trying to get off and on the highway. Is there a good view from the New Life parking lot?
Please share in the comments if you’ve got any other spots that weren’t mentioned! Keep in mind that most of these are on private property, so “bird-watchers” may not always be welcome. And please be careful if you pull off the side of the road!